Registration and payment are required prior to any lessons or classes taking place. To register, please do one of the following:
1) Register online
2) Download and print the Spring Registration 2017 form and mail-in payment to New School of Music, 25 Lowell Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
3) Register and complete payment over the phone by calling NSM at 617.492.8105.
New to Private Lessons? Fill out our Private Lesson Inquiry form or call the NSM office at 617.492.8105 for more information.
Need-based financial scholarships
Through the generous donations of individual NSM donors, we are able to offer need-based scholarships for private lessons, group classes, or ensemble study throughout the year.
Full policies are outlined in our Family Handbook.
- Registration is complete when full payment and registration fees has been received by NSM. Only completed registrations qualify to start lessons and/or classes at NSM. Attending classes or informing instructors of the intent to register does not constitute registering for courses.
- All purchased lessons must be used by the end of the term. No credits or refunds will be provided after the term ends.
Makeup lessons and classes
- NSM instructors are able to provide one makeup for student absences, over the course of the term, provided 24 hours notice was given.
- All teacher absences or weather cancellations will be made up within the term.
- In the event that a group class is cancelled, NSM will add an additional makeup class at the end of the term.
Payment for private lessons may be spread out over the course of the term with 4 monthly payments. In order to participate in a payment plan, families must:
- Sign the payment plan agreement,
- Pay $20.00 payment plan fee (waived for Scholarship recipients)
- Commit to having a credit card on file with NSM. Payments will be charged to the CC on file on the 15th of the month.
Withdrawals and Refunds
- Private Lessons – Office must be notified by the 4th lesson of intent to withdraw, refund will be 80% of the unused tuition; no refund after the 4th lesson of the term.
- Group Classes – There are no refunds for group classes, ensembles, vacation programs, workshops, etc.
Cancellation of Classes and Ensembles
- Please note that NSM reserves the right to cancel any class or ensemble due to insufficient enrollment.
- All closings and delays will be announced on our website or call the NSM office at 617.492.8105 for weather alerts.
- On weekdays during the school year, NSM typically follows the Cambridge Public School closings and delays regarding inclement weather, particularly for morning classes. However, always double check with NSM to confirm.
- NSM does not make individual calls to students if and when the School is closed; please call or check the website to confirm school winter weather closure. Lessons cancelled due to weather will be made up.
- Instructors reserve the right to make an individual decision to cancel lessons or classes due to bad weather; should they do so, they will contact students directly; private lessons will be made up.
Use of Photographs and Videos
- NSM may take photographs of classes, lessons, recitals and events for promotional use in on-line and print materials. It is our policy not to include the names of children in any captions. If you would like us to not use any images of yourself or a family member, please let us know in writing or by email.